Young Communicators English Competition is organized by Ronaki Hawler Education Company in four categories which are Secondary School Prep Class, High School Prep Class, Grades 7-8 and Grades 10-11.
The purpose of this competition is to increase awareness about the importance of English in communication. The competition is integrated with Cambridge ESOL exams and it consists of multiple choice, fill in the blanks, listening comprehension, choosing the right picture, writing story and writing reply to a letter or e-mail parts.
The preparations continue throughout the school year and every year almost 300 students participate in this competition. At the end of the competition the students and teachers are awarded and recognized for their success.
Young Communicators General Information
A General Information
- Young communicators which is an English Contest among the students in Private Schools of Iraq. The contest will be held in three different categories. Prep classes 7th-8th-10th and 11th grades can attend to this contest.
- The aims of Young Communicators are;
- To focus on the importance of English in communication
- To motivate students to study English and to enhance their positive attitude towards English
- To award successful students
- Registration period is from 2 February to 16 February.
- Young Communicators contest is going to be held on the 4th of March.
B Registration procedure
- The students from prep classes, 7th – 8th – 10th and 11th grade students can participate this contest.
- Before attending the final stage each school will have a pre selection exam to choose the students who will represent their school in contest.
- Each school’s English department chooses 6 students to set a team to represent the school for each category.
- There are 3 categories in the exam
- First category is for Prep classes
- Second category is for 7th and 8th grades
- Third category is for 10th and 11th grades
- The schools which have students from the categories above will choose 6 students to set a team for each category. If the school has both secondary prep and high prep classes, then they will set up a different team for each prep group.
- The students who will participate in the contest should not have been in an English spoken country more than 6 months.
- Individual and team ranking will be announced in two weeks after the contest
C Exam Procedure
- There will be three categories in the exam.
- First Category for Prep Classes: This exam will be in A2 level according to Common European Framework. Our schools’ curriculum is suitable for this level. The questions in the exam will be similar to KET exam.
- Second Category for 7th and 8th classes: This exam will be in B1 level according to Common European Framework. Our schools’ curriculum for 7 and 8 grades is suitable for this level. The questions in the exam will be similar to PET exam.
- Third Category for 10th and 11th classes: This exam will be in B2 level according to Common European Framework. Our schools’ curriculum for 10 and 11 grades is suitable for this level. The questions in the exam will be similar to FCE exam.
- There will be 100 questions in Young Communicators exam for each category. The range of the questions is shown in the table below
|Listening||Use of English||Reading||Writing||Total|
- Total time for the exam is 150 minutes.
- There are 80 multiple choice questions and 2 writing tasks. Each question in multiple choice part carries 1 point. Writing part will be evaluated over 20 points.
- Participants will mark their answers on the optical form given at the beginning of the exam, and the results will be evaluated according to the optical form. Only Writing part will be evaluated by the instructors.
- The format of the exam will be exactly the same as the previous years so it might be useful to distribute the past papers of the exam to students.
- Participants must bring eraser, sharpener and soft-tipped pencils with them.
- Every participant school must send a guide teacher with their group of students.
D Results and Awards
- The results of the contest will be announced in two weeks’ time after the exam from our website
- The students in each category will be sorted individually and first three students will be awarded. Beside, Teams will be ranked and members of first three teams in each category will be awarded.